Go to Home Page
Main Message Board | Treatment Discussions | Polls | MC FAQs | Recipes | Information Sites | Medication Info | Diet Info | Jokes | Photo Gallery
  Username:    Password:      Remember me       
MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index

You can get your life back
MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT
Discussion and Support Forum for Collagenous Colitis, Lymphocytic Colitis, Microscopic Colitis, Mastocytic Enterocolitis, and Related Issues

MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum IndexVisit the Microscopic Colitis Foundation Website

The only comprehensive book ever written about Microscopic Colitis
Can be ordered at any bookstore or library
 FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ChatChat   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 World Time Clock--Time ZonesPotty People T-ShirtsPrivacy Policy
Google
SearchSearch The Archives of This Discussion Board
MRT Results are back

Post new topic   Reply to topic       MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index -> Discussions About MRT Testing
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
connie
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin

User's local time:
2017 Dec 12 - 1:33 AM

Food Intolerances : gluten,dairy,soy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: MRT Results are back Reply with quote

Hi,
I have received my MRT results. My first 7 days allowed foods are as follows:

Proteins: Salmon, Sole, Codfish, Garbanzo Bean
Starches: Rice, Tapioca
Vegetables: Tomato, Cucumber, Onion
Fruits: Payaya, Plum, Raspberry, Apricot
Dairy: American Cheese, Cocoa
Nuts: Pistachio, Almond
Flavor Enhancers: Leek, Black Pepper, Cinnamon

Not sure about the tomato, haven't eaten any for at least a year and a half. Haven't eaten many vegetables or fruits for months so this will be interesting. Also having a hard time finding the fruits as they are not in season here.

Only on day two so I guess I will see how much fish I can eat without becoming tired of it. All meats were green for reaction but fish was the lowest except for scallops which were red. I posted my list of reactive foods in the MRT result section.
I have to admit I have been going thru a grieving process over some of the foods. crying

Interesting that I did not react to any dairy other than Goat's milk. I have not had Entrolab testing but stopped gluten, dairy and soy about 1 1/2 years ago.

Thanks for all the information on the board that led me to the testing.

Connie
mbeezie
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin

User's local time:
2017 Dec 12 - 2:33 AM

Food Intolerances : gluten, dairy, soy, tapioca

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,

You have quite a few reactive foods. Which ones were you surprised by? I feel your pain about giving up certain foods. I think we all go through that when we look at the long list of reactives.

As for not having dairy show up as positive, remember MRT doesn't capture all reactions. If you have avoided dairy and tomato for a long period it might be wise to move them to a later phase. Talk to your dietitian about this but if you think you react to something, phase 1 is not the place to test it out - it's only for green foods and foods you know to be safe.

Good luck getting started. Pleasekeep us posted on your progress.

Take care,

Mary Beth
King Penguin
King Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, soy, casien, eggs, legumes, Pepto Bismol, all fruit except mango, all vegetables, tomatoes, onions, peppers, carrageenan, chicken, beef, orange roughy, cucumber, vinegar, chocolate, olives, buckwheat, millet, tapioca, sorghum, rice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,

We are not usually prepared to see that some foods we've enjoyed are the very foods which give us problems. It's a mixed blessing to find out.

I also tested low for some fish and that was to be my main protein for the first 7 days. Due to a histamine problem, I didn't do well with the fish and had to switch to higher green meats within a week. Lamb and pork tested at 1.5 for me, but I've done well with them. I am not crazy about fish anyway, so it wasn't hard to make the switch.

I agree with Mary Beth that you shouldn't eat foods which you know are problematic simply because you tested low on the MRT test. You should definitely avoid the red and yellow foods, but I would not resume eating dairy or tomato if you have reason to believe they are intolerances. I tested green for both also, but must avoid them.

You are fortunate that you tested green for all meats and potatoes. That will give you a lot of flexibility if and when you want to eat out.

Thank you for sharing your results. Let us know how you progress. We learn from each other.

Gloria
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin

User's local time:
2017 Dec 12 - 3:33 AM

Food Intolerances : Gluten, dairy, eggs (maybe more?)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria,

I smiled when I read your post - I have so often heard someone described as a 'meat and potatoes' eater, in a derogatory tone meaning they had no sense of adventure. Well, I don't have a big sense of adventure at the moment, myself! I'm more of a meat-and-sweet-potatoes gal just now, but am open to the "other" potatoes ;)

Connie,

You're so fortunate to have this as a guide, plus the amazing help from Mary Beth and others who've gone down this path before us. I am looking forward to starting down the MRT path - will do Enterolab testing first and continue low-risk eating till I'm ready to join you. I wish you luck (and tastiness) as you go forward,

Sara
Pat
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin
Canada

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Egg, Beef, Chicken, All fruit, All vegetables except some squash, Corn, Rice, Maple, Basil, Coconut, Cane Sugar, Carob, Vanilla, Mustard, Polysorbate 80, Capsaicin, MSG, Benzoic Acid,

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria,

I have noticed in this thread and others that you have assigned numbers to your MRT results. I don't think mine was like that. Did I miss something?

Connie,

Good luck with the leap diet. It can be challenging at first. I am at 2 months almost and I am still struggling but I think I am making progress. I will post about that later.

Pat
mbeezie
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, dairy, soy, tapioca

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

The numbers correspond with the green/yellow/red bar length and should be at the end of your results. I sent a copy via e-mail in case your copy didn't have this info.

Mary Beth

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, dairy, soy, corn, yeast, chocolate, tomato, white potato, celery, sesame, carrot, yellow squash, lamb, pork, mango, strawberry, almond, cashew, vanilla, grapefruit, raspberry, avocado, mustard, paprika, cauliflower, cucumber, plum, and more!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MB,

Could you send me one too? Thanks.

Connie,

Good luck on your adventure! I agree with the others - avoid those foods you know to be problematic. I tested OK to a number of dairy products on MRT but know from long experience that I can't tolerate any dairy, unfortunately. If you have the chance, please post your results - I really enjoy seeing the variations among our results. Plus it will be interesting to see if there are foods that we MCers are more/less likely to have problems with. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Love,

Polly
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin
Canada

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Egg, Beef, Chicken, All fruit, All vegetables except some squash, Corn, Rice, Maple, Basil, Coconut, Cane Sugar, Carob, Vanilla, Mustard, Polysorbate 80, Capsaicin, MSG, Benzoic Acid,

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mary Beth,

I got the email with the numbered results. It was not in my original pack. Not really that important I just couldn't figure out where Gloria was getting her numbers. Thanks again.

Pat
connie
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin

User's local time:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mary Beth, Gloria, Sara, Pat and Polly for the encouragement.

Mary Beth remarked that I have lot of reactive foods and asked which ones surprised me. I wasn't surprised that I reacted to alot of foods,I kind of expected it. I was surprised that sunflower was reactive and that corn was a red for me. I am very sad about blueberries because I live in huckleberry country. I haven't been eating them but they are like a family tradition food.

Polly - I did post my reactive foods in the MRT testing results section.

I haven't eaten fruit for about 1 1/2 years as I thought all fruit was problem. I am on day 4 and I am eating the safe fruits that were suggested for the first week's diet. Surprise!!!! It's going okay. I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Thanks again so very much.
irisheyes13
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : Gluten, Casein, Soy, Eggs & Yeast so far...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connie,

Congrats on uncovering additional sensitivities...and that was quite a list! Although it isn't fun to see more foods to avoid it helps to have some guidance in what hopefully will be the road to additional healing and a more varied diet in the future.

It's interesting that cocoa is listed under dairy. Is that assuming you are mixing cocoa with another safe food like almond milk to create hot cocoa?

Glad to hear you had some fruits which were green and they appear to be agreeing with you. x fingers

I'm in the process of MRT testing as well so I am looking forward to reading your updates and progress. Thanks for posting your results and phase one of LEAP. It's very helpful Very Happy

Wishing you lots of success in the upcoming weeks!

Hugs,
Kelly
Kari
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, dairy, soy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Connie,

Welcome to the LEAPER club :). So sorry that you have disappointments in your food list, but if it's any consolation, I think we all did. My big ones were bananas and coffee - mainstays all my life. However, it is amazing how quickly I was able to adapt to have them taken away. At some point, getting well is so much more important than food and drink choices.

I'm very curious about how you'll do with american cheese as you said you've been dairy free for a long time. My results were also green for all the dairies, except for cottage cheese. However, I tested positive for dairy at Enterolab, so I wouldn't dare try any. I'm wondering if the fact that we both stayed away from dairy for a long time before doing the MRT testing could have impacted the results.

Anyhow, just wanted to wish you all the best as you embark on this new chapter in your MC management. It will be challenging, but hopefully you'll join the rest of us in seeing positive results when implementing the diet changes. I look forward to following your progress through your posts here.

Love,
Kari
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin

User's local time:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your support Kelly and Kari,
Kelly asked:
Quote:
It's interesting that cocoa is listed under dairy. Is that assuming you are mixing cocoa with another safe food like almond milk to create hot cocoa?

I don't know what to do with the cocoa as I don't have anything on my list to mix it with. I am waiting for my first call from my dietitian so that I can ask about it.

Kari: I don't think I'm going to try any dairy. I would love the calories but I am afraid of it.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I didn't have a very good day and I was feeling a little discouraged but tomorrow will be better.

You are all wonderful.
Connie
Post new topic      Reply to topic    MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index -> Discussions About MRT Testing All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: