Go to Home Page
Main Message Board | Treatment Discussions | Polls | MC FAQs | Recipes | Information Sites | Medication Info | Diet Info | Jokes | Photo Gallery
  Username:    Password:      Remember me       
MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index

You can get your life back
MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT
Discussion and Support Forum for Collagenous Colitis, Lymphocytic Colitis, Microscopic Colitis, Mastocytic Enterocolitis, and Related Issues

MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum IndexVisit the Microscopic Colitis Foundation Website

The only comprehensive book ever written about Microscopic Colitis
Can be ordered at any bookstore or library
 FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ChatChat   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 World Time Clock--Time ZonesPotty People T-ShirtsPrivacy Policy
Google
SearchSearch The Archives of This Discussion Board
When is a good time to get a DEXA scan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic       MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index -> Polls Related to Microscopic Colitis and Treatment Options
 View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you ever had a DEXA scan?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 18 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 30

desertrat
Gentoo Penguin
Gentoo Penguin
unknown IP

User's local time:
2017 Sep 26 - 3:12 AM

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: When is a good time to get a DEXA scan? Reply with quote

How many here have had a DEXA scan? I haven't seen much talk about it, yet everyone seems to have MC joint/bone issues. Is there an age time to get one?

Mandy
Gabes-Apg
Emperor Penguin
Emperor Penguin

User's local time:
2017 Sep 26 - 7:12 PM

Food Intolerances : Gluten, Yeast, Caesin, Soy, salad/raw veges and fruit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the discussion on this forum, i had a DEXA scan 4 mths post Dx.

Due to my age at the time (40) and the published 'accepted' guidelines for diagnosing MC (patients are over the age of 55 OR chronic symptoms for 3 years) the scan costs was not covered by government medical or private medical.
I was happy to invest in having the scan as a sort of baseline (it cost me about $140)
I had only had chronic symptoms for about 3 months before Dx, and mild symptoms coming and going for about 2 years before Dx so compromised nutritional function had not been too bad.

"Anything that contradicts experience and logic should be abandoned"
Dalai Lama
Gloria
King Penguin
King Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, soy, casien, eggs, legumes, Pepto Bismol, all fruit (incl. tomatoes), all root vegetables, onions, peppers, carrageenan, chicken, beef, orange roughy, cucumber, vinegar, all squash, chocolate, olives, buckwheat, millet, tapioca, sorghum, rice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recommended age for a DEXA scan is 65. I had my first one when I was 53, and the scan showed that I had osteopenia in my lumber spine and my hip scan was normal. By age 66, both my lumbar spine and my hip are osteoporotic.

The BMD is compared to that of a young adult, so most in their 60's will have osteopenia or osteoporosis.

Further explanation of the DEXA scan can be found here: http://courses.washington.edu/bonephys/opbmd.html

Gloria
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin
unknown IP

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : Dairy, Gluten, Soy, & Eggs

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only because I insisted on the scan due to family history and LC. I am 49 and my mother and grandmother (grandmother broke her hip at 89 and passed at 91) both have osteoporosis and I now am diagnosed with osteopenia. As I posted I broke 5 ribs getting out of the shower and the ER said the perfect hit. I hit the top of the tub right underneath my breast when I slipped no bruising etc. When I was screaming my husband and son thought it was my stomach. I slept on a chair straight up for 3 weeks and the pain was unbearable for about 10 days but could not go to bed until 21 days.
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, dairy casein, dietary yeast, egg whites, and soy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anyone with autoimmune issues, particularly anything to do with the gut, should talk to their physician about getting a baseline or a recheck of their bone density right away.

Due to my osteoporosis, I am checked every year.

Same goes for checking levels of vitamins...especially B-12 and Vit D.
maestraz
Gentoo Penguin
Gentoo Penguin
United States

User's local time:
2017 Sep 26 - 4:12 AM

Food Intolerances : Gluten, dairy, soy, plus histamine issues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first bone density test around age 50 and what do you know? Osteopenia, -2.2. GYN put me right on Fosamax. How convenient that somebody had invented a device that will tell you, well, you don't have osteoporosis YET, but you MIGHT get it, so better take those drugs, and now the vast majority of women my age (I'm 60) that I know do that.

I had a dental hygienist give me a heads up that I might want to re-think it, as they were seeing jaw problems in people who took it. Months later, when I had the flare that led to my LC diagnosis, my right jaw virtually locked up. After diagnosis, I quit Fosamax, and the jaw problem quickly disappeared and has not re-occurred. I had a stable bone density test in the last year, and my docs are good with keeping me off it as long as my tests show stability. My PCP has suggested that if I edge closer to osteoporosis, I might want to consider one of the infusion drugs, which are different. I'm wary, and have pushed that issue way down on my list of things to think about.

Additionally, there was a post a few days ago about Fosamax and esophageal issues. You may want to read it.

I appreciate that people are concerned, and a case like Gloria's certainly indicates the need
for vigilance. But after my Fosamax experience, I would urge people to discuss options
thoroughly with their docs. But also, give some thought to the value of weight bearing
exercise, and changes to the calcium/vitamin D regimen.
King Penguin
King Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, soy, casien, eggs, legumes, Pepto Bismol, all fruit (incl. tomatoes), all root vegetables, onions, peppers, carrageenan, chicken, beef, orange roughy, cucumber, vinegar, all squash, chocolate, olives, buckwheat, millet, tapioca, sorghum, rice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently read that the recommendation for the baseline DEXA scan is age 50, not 65 as I posted above. Perhaps there isn't a consensus yet.

Gloria
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, eggs, cow's milk, soy, guar gum, whey, goat's milk, cocoa, crab, carrot, amaranth, kamut,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had my first scan when I was about 60. I'm small boned and apparently small boned women are more likely to get osteoporosis. Fortunately, there were no problems. I had one other scan before being diagnosed with CC and that one was also okay. It probably would be a good idea to have another one now. I believe there is a hereditary factor involved and I know my mother didn't have a significant loss of bone well into her 90's and she was diagnosed with CC when she was about 80. She did a fair bit of falling down and never broke anything but her nose and she was carrying a cocktail glass that time. Rolling Eyes

Sheila W

A person who never made a mistake never tried something new. Einstein
Lesley
King Penguin
King Penguin

User's local time:
2017 Sep 26 - 1:12 AM

Food Intolerances : Too many to list

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first scan in 2005 after I had been on prednisone for 6 solid months. I was dix'd with osteopenia. Never took anything for it, and I am glad.
I haven't had one for a while now. It's probably about time.
iceburg
Little Blue Penguin
Little Blue Penguin
United States

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : shrimp and I dont know yet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: dexa Reply with quote

I am 37, I knew something was wrong due to my teeth were becoming brittle and questioned the dentist and followed up with my doctor. Due to what they say was malnutrition, from being undiagnosed with cc and being on steroids for over a year, I was sent for a dexa scan, and I do have osteopenia in the lumbar area. They told me to take calcium with d and magnesium.
King Penguin
King Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : Gluten, Soy, Eggs, Nightshades, Mushrooms, Bananas, Melons, Most Dairy, usually Citrus, Corn for the most part

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first at 61 and it came up clean.

Maggie
Christine.
Gentoo Penguin
Gentoo Penguin

User's local time:
2017 Sep 26 - 1:12 AM

Food Intolerances : Gluten, casein, soy, eggs & ?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one a year or so ago. I have the bones of a 30 year old. I'm not surprised since my mom had great bones into her 90s. I am small boned and fair complexioned
Christine
CNewman

United States

User's local time:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering my recent CC diagnosis, my bad back and knees, and my dad,yes dad, having osteoperosis, I will not wait much longer. I am 32.
desertrat
Gentoo Penguin
Gentoo Penguin
unknown IP

User's local time:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just got the results from my DEXA scan. The results came back normal. My BMD in my spine was 1.591g/cm2. Is this considered mediocre normal, good normal, or great normal?

Mandy
Martha
Rockhopper Penguin
Rockhopper Penguin

User's local time:

Food Intolerances : gluten, dairy, soy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first scan at age 50, just as a baseline. Imagine my consternation when they told me I already had osteoporosis! The doctor put me on Fosamax, which I obediently took for 5 years. By then I had read enough scientific-sounding things (not just stories of people who got a stomachache the first time they took it) to scare me off. I'm sorry that I took it so long. My second scan a year later showed some improvement, the next scan the next year was the same as the second.

I have all the conditions that predispose me to osteoporosis--I'm small-boned, of Scandinavian descent, and under 125 pounds.

Once I quit Fosamax in 2008, I upped my vitamin D and weight-bearing exercise. I haven't had another scan since then, mostly because I'm not going to take any medicine for it, so what's the point of knowing the numbers? Is there a point? Or something diet-wise that I should do to help?

Martha
Post new topic      Reply to topic    MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index -> Polls Related to Microscopic Colitis and Treatment Options All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: