Go to Home Page
Main Message Board | Treatment Discussions | Polls | MC FAQs | Recipes | Information Sites | Medication Info | Diet Info | Jokes | Photo Gallery
  Username:    Password:      Remember me       
MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index

You can get your life back
MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT
Discussion and Support Forum for Collagenous Colitis, Lymphocytic Colitis, Microscopic Colitis, Mastocytic Enterocolitis, and Related Issues

MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum IndexVisit the Microscopic Colitis Foundation Website
 

The only comprehensive book ever written about Microscopic Colitis
Can be ordered at any bookstore or library
 FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ChatChat   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 World Time Clock--Time ZonesPotty People T-ShirtsPrivacy Policy
Google
SearchSearch The Archives of This Discussion Board
Opioid Medications

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic       MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions about CC, LC, and MC
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SweetSydney
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin
unknown IP

Joined: 11 Jan 2013

Posts: 104
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM



Location: United States

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Opioid Medications Reply with quote

I have MS, severe nerve & back pain.

Are any of the opioid medications, safe to use with Lymphocytic Colitis?

TIA

Sydney
_________________
Sydney
Lymphocytic Colitis-12/17/2012
MS
Back to top
tex
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 24 May 2005

Posts: 30597
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM


Food Intolerances : Gluten, casein, soy, and avenin, (avenin is the prolamin in oats, which is equivalent to the gluten in wheat), beef, grapes, peanuts, cashews, almonds, (but nut butters seem OK except for peanuts), citric acid, chocolate, and agar.
Location: Central Texas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sydney,

As far as I'm aware, none of the opioid painkillers have any adverse effects on LC symptoms. The fact that they slow down motility means that they can even be helpful. Of course as you probably know, one has to be aware of the risk of impaction when taking narcotic painkillers, but other than that, they shouldn't have an adverse effect on your LC.

Incidentally, are you aware of this recent research discovery?

Multiple Sclerosis Cause Finally Receives Answers

Tex
_________________
cowboy

It is suspected that some of the hardest material known to science can be found in the skulls of GI specialists who insist that diet has nothing to do with the treatment of microscopic colitis.
Back to top
SweetSydney
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin
unknown IP

Joined: 11 Jan 2013

Posts: 104
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM



Location: United States

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tex wrote:
Hi Sydney,

As far as I'm aware, none of the opioid painkillers have any adverse effects on LC symptoms. The fact that they slow down motility means that they can even be helpful. Of course as you probably know, one has to be aware of the risk of impaction when taking narcotic painkillers, but other than that, they shouldn't have an adverse effect on your LC.

Incidentally, are you aware of this recent research discovery?

Multiple Sclerosis Cause Finally Receives Answers

Tex


Hi, Tex.

Thank you -the pain management doctor had suggested trying an opioid & I wanted to find out if it was safe, before asking for a 'script from my DO next Monday.

Thank you for the link to the article about MS. It's interesting, because I had a severe G.I. infection, 25 years ago-doctors could never identify it though.

Sydney
_________________
Sydney
Lymphocytic Colitis-12/17/2012
MS
Back to top
tex
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 24 May 2005

Posts: 30597
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM


Food Intolerances : Gluten, casein, soy, and avenin, (avenin is the prolamin in oats, which is equivalent to the gluten in wheat), beef, grapes, peanuts, cashews, almonds, (but nut butters seem OK except for peanuts), citric acid, chocolate, and agar.
Location: Central Texas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sydney wrote:
It's interesting, because I had a severe G.I. infection, 25 years ago-doctors could never identify it though.


Was that before your MS diagnosis? If so, do you remember how long before?

Tex
_________________
cowboy

It is suspected that some of the hardest material known to science can be found in the skulls of GI specialists who insist that diet has nothing to do with the treatment of microscopic colitis.
Back to top
SweetSydney
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin
unknown IP

Joined: 11 Jan 2013

Posts: 104
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM



Location: United States

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tex wrote:
Sydney wrote:
It's interesting, because I had a severe G.I. infection, 25 years ago-doctors could never identify it though.


Was that before your MS diagnosis? If so, do you remember how long before?

Tex


Yes, that was before my MS was diagnosed. My MS was only diagnosed in November of 2011-but my MS Specialist said, based on my symptoms, she believed I have had MS since at least, 1998.

My husband commented to me, after we read the article, how I always ate steak, very undercooked.
_________________
Sydney
Lymphocytic Colitis-12/17/2012
MS
Back to top
tex
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 24 May 2005

Posts: 30597
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM


Food Intolerances : Gluten, casein, soy, and avenin, (avenin is the prolamin in oats, which is equivalent to the gluten in wheat), beef, grapes, peanuts, cashews, almonds, (but nut butters seem OK except for peanuts), citric acid, chocolate, and agar.
Location: Central Texas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. That's interesting.

Tex
_________________
cowboy

It is suspected that some of the hardest material known to science can be found in the skulls of GI specialists who insist that diet has nothing to do with the treatment of microscopic colitis.
Back to top
SweetSydney
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin
unknown IP

Joined: 11 Jan 2013

Posts: 104
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM



Location: United States

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tex wrote:
Hmmmmm. That's interesting.

Tex


I suspect that I have had MS, longer than since 1998.

And what is really strange, is quite some time time ago, I developed an aversion to meat.
_________________
Sydney
Lymphocytic Colitis-12/17/2012
MS
Back to top
tex
Site Admin
Site Admin


Joined: 24 May 2005

Posts: 30597
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM


Food Intolerances : Gluten, casein, soy, and avenin, (avenin is the prolamin in oats, which is equivalent to the gluten in wheat), beef, grapes, peanuts, cashews, almonds, (but nut butters seem OK except for peanuts), citric acid, chocolate, and agar.
Location: Central Texas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you react to meat? Have you ever heard of mammalian meat allergy? It's a rare condition caused by an infection that can result from a tick bite that leads to an allergy to the only sugar (carbohydrate) allergy known to science (virtually all other allergic reactions are directed against proteins). The reaction is against a carbohydrate in meat known as galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose (commonly abbreviated as alpha-gal). Here's some more information on the condition:

http://allergytomeat.wordpress.com/frequently-asked-questions/

This might be somehow connected with Lyme disease:

Quote:
For a look at how common alpha-gal reactions were in other populations, the researchers also screened blood from 143 healthy blood donors in the greater Stockholm area, where tick bites are common, and from 207 patients with confirmed Lyme disease from recent tick bites.

As many as 10% showed IgE antibodies to alpha-gal in that general Stockholm population and 22% did in the tick-borne infection group.

IgE levels high enough to be considered alpha-gal sensitization were more common in the Lyme disease group, though (22% versus 3%, P=0.005), "which strengthens the role of tick bites for the induction of IgE to alpha-gal."


http://www.medpagetoday.com/AllergyImmunology/Allergy/43210

Here's the full research article that Medpage article is based on:

http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749%28...901306-7/fulltext

Tex
_________________
cowboy

It is suspected that some of the hardest material known to science can be found in the skulls of GI specialists who insist that diet has nothing to do with the treatment of microscopic colitis.
Back to top
SweetSydney
Adélie Penguin
Adélie Penguin
unknown IP

Joined: 11 Jan 2013

Posts: 104
User's local time:
2017 Oct 21 - 10:19 PM



Location: United States

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tex wrote:
Do you react to meat? Have you ever heard of mammalian meat allergy? It's a rare condition caused by an infection that can result from a tick bite that leads to an allergy to the only sugar (carbohydrate) allergy known to science (virtually all other allergic reactions are directed against proteins). The reaction is against a carbohydrate in meat known as galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose (commonly abbreviated as alpha-gal). Here's some more information on the condition:

http://allergytomeat.wordpress.com/frequently-asked-questions/

This might be somehow connected with Lyme disease:

Quote:
For a look at how common alpha-gal reactions were in other populations, the researchers also screened blood from 143 healthy blood donors in the greater Stockholm area, where tick bites are common, and from 207 patients with confirmed Lyme disease from recent tick bites.

As many as 10% showed IgE antibodies to alpha-gal in that general Stockholm population and 22% did in the tick-borne infection group.

IgE levels high enough to be considered alpha-gal sensitization were more common in the Lyme disease group, though (22% versus 3%, P=0.005), "which strengthens the role of tick bites for the induction of IgE to alpha-gal."


http://www.medpagetoday.com/AllergyImmunology/Allergy/43210

Here's the full research article that Medpage article is based on:

http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749%28...901306-7/fulltext

Tex


No, Tex, don't react to react to meat, I only developed a distate for it-esp. red meat.

However, I am going to read the information in the links, you so kindly provided.
_________________
Sydney
Lymphocytic Colitis-12/17/2012
MS
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic      Reply to topic    MICROSCOPIC COLITIS SUPPORT Forum Index -> Frequently Asked Questions about CC, LC, and MC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Remove cookies set by this forum

Search online dictionaries
(Powered by OneLook® Dictionary Search)
Enter word or phrase:
Enter a word to search for dictionary web sites that include that word.
Enter a pattern consisting of letters and wildcards to search for words.
Valid wildcards are * (matches multiple letters) and ? (matches one letter).
Locations of visitors to this page


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
IP Country Flag 2.9.6b © 2005, 2008 - 3Di (aka 3D)

Copyright © 2005–2017 perskyfarms.com, All Rights Reserved

Copyright Notice: The material on this site is copyrighted by perskyfarms.com, and it is protected from unauthorized copying and dissemination by United States copyright law, trademark law, international conventions, and other intellectual property laws. This copyright protection also extends to any and all images, found on any and all pages of this site.

Please contact us at this address for permission, if you wish to use any material on this website for any commercial or public purpose.

We have made a good faith effort not to violate any copyright. If we have unknowingly done so, please contact the site administrator, at this address, and the issue will be promptly corrected.

Disclaimer: The information contained within this site is intended solely for general educational purposes, and is not intended, nor implied, to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Anyone who chooses to use any information found here, does so at his or her own risk. Always seek the advice of your physician or other health care provider for any questions you may have regarding your medical condition. Only your physician can provide specific diagnoses and therapies. By using this site you agree to the following terms and conditions:

Certain members of this discussion board are practicing medical professionals. They are not here to offer medial advice, they are here because they have been diagnosed with microsopic colitis, and they are interested in sharing their own personal experiences concerning the disease, and learning from others in all walks of life, who also have to deal with these issues. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your health, you should consult with your own doctor, or medial professional.

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor, or 911, immediately. The members of this board, regardless of whether or not they are medical professionals, cannot respond to issues requiring urgent medical attention. Please note that no legal action can be taken by any user of this site, as a result of any information found here, and that none of the parties involved, neither individually, nor collectively, nor the owner of this site, can be held responsible for any information offered in the course of discussions, regardless of circumstances, whether those discussions are in a public or private form, and regardless of whether of not any of the parties involved are professionals. Remember that this discussion board is not intended to be a replacement for a consultation with your doctor or other medical professonal, it is intended as a sharing of knowledge and information from the research and personal experience of the members of this discussion board.

This site does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned anywhere on this site. Reliance on any information provided here is solely at your own risk.

Main Message Board | Treatment Discussions | Polls | MC FAQs | Recipes | Information Sites | Medication Info | Diet Info | Jokes | Photo Gallery